Angela Johnson is originally from Ann Arbor, Michigan and graduated in 2010 with a Bachelors of Music from Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory of Music in Ohio. She volunteers regularly with the American Cancer Society, Autism Speaks, Broadway Impact, Habitat for Humanity, Make a Wish Foundation, Red Cross and St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Angela is heading up Broadway Impact’s AIDS Walk NY team which will be held on May 15, 2011 in Central Park! Click here to walk with them!
1. Who or what inspired you to join Broadway Impact? I'm literally sitting at the computer with tears in my eyes just like I had when I met Jenny Kanelos and tried to explain this answer to her :) I am extremely passionate about equal rights for all people and above all things I believe that love transcends everything. It literally breaks my heart (I now have full on 'get a box of tissue tears' writing this) to be with my closest friends that I've cared about for years-see them grow, change and become who they are as individuals-fall in love with who they fall in love with and then to see them be caught up in all this legal backwards jargon that they can't legally express their love for that person-it just makes my heart ache. I want to do everything in my power to show my support and stand along side my friends while we are fighting this human rights issue.
2. What excites you most about being part of Broadway Impact? Being around such wonderful people who have strong views on how to implement change. When I'm with volunteers of Broadway Impact its so mellow-just genuinely great people who are down to lend their self and voice to an extremely important cause. It's pretty neat. Good people are pretty neat :)
3. How did you decide to head up Broadway Impact's AIDS Walk NY Team? I was looking to join the AIDS Walk because I just love charity walks. It's so powerful to see people at these walks who are there walking to show their gratitude for someone who they love that has passed or people there living with the disease who are showing their love for life or people there who are showing their love in support of giving to the cause. It's just going to be an amazingly beautiful celebratory event and I feel that Broadway Impact is a rockin organization that stands for love, paying it forward, giving it back and I just think its phenomenal that we'll be there united as a team walking on May 15th! :)
4. What personal fulfillment do you get from organizing the AIDS Walk Team for Broadway Impact? Honestly I can't even pinpoint it-everything about it makes me happy! I'm just extremely passionate about giving back and I love bringing great groups of people together to spread awareness about awesome causes.
5. If you could have any celebrity join Broadway Impact's AIDS Walk Team, who would it be? Oooo honestly yo-I'm very happy with the team we have right now!! I've heard some pretty touching stories from different members on our team as to why they decided to walk with us and I'm so thankful to have each and every one of them representing under Team Broadway Impact. Lets think though...Audra McDonald! She's someone who is very vocal about lending her support to great causes-and she's actually volunteered for Broadway Impact before :) Besides Audra-Chad Kimball ;) Just throwing that out there because I saw him in Memphis and he's beautiful, brilliant, I could go on and on :)
6. What do you hope people come away with having Broadway Impact participate in the AIDS Walk NY? That's a very powerful question Adam-way to rock! Honestly, I just hope the members on team Broadway Impact know how much they are making a difference in other peoples lives. It's so crazy because everything is done online nowadays so you click on a button, give a donation and see a dollar amount then close a screen but my hope is that people take the time to appreciate that their donation is going a tremendously long way and on the day the event my wish is that each walker take in what is around them and the people they come across from all walks of life who are there walking along side them for that morning with one common goal to lend their compassion, kindness and love for those in need.
7. Since you studied music in school, if you could either perform alongside any musician/performer who would it be? If you could have any musician/performer perform your music, who would you choose? Jennifer Hudson! I'd want to sing back up vocals for her-she kills it. We'd kill it :) annndd I've never written any music of my own-I'd be God awful at doing that-but if for some reason I wrote something I'd want Adele or Marc Broussard to perform it; they're soulful and pretty effing sweet.
8. What's the best advice you've ever received? Always rock kindness.
9. Favorite skin care product? If only I were that trendy :) I just rock Neutrogena.
10. Favorite website? Honestly I only use my computer for work-I never even owned a laptop in college-just bought one last fall for the first time because sending long emails was becoming impossible from my phone :) but (and I know my brother will be ashamed that I'm publicly admitting this) but I watch Jersey Shore online :) Guilty pleasure.
11. Superman or Wonder Woman? Wonder Woman! Gotta rep it for the ladies :)
12. Do you have any strange or unusual talent that nobody knows about? I can’t think of one. Watch me think of one like two days from now or something :) I have one that’s not really strange but a skill that I love! I'm pretty fluent in American Sign Language.
13. If you could dream about anyone while you sleep, who would it be? Hah. Mark Fisher. My National Academy of Sports Medicine Certified personal trainer who has specialty certifications in Corrective Exercise Strategies (NSAM) as well as the Functional Movement Screen and also specializes in making clients healthy and hot. In addition to that he pretty much looks like Prince Eric and is extremely knowledgeable about his work while remaining one of the most humble dudes I've had the fortune to meet in this city. Google him. You'll start wanting to dream about him too.
In addition to the interview above, Gavin Creel, co-founder of Broadway Impact and fellow "Adaumbelle's Quest" participant did an impromptu interview with Angela at Broadway Impact's Pop Up Video Day on April 17 about heading up Broadway Impact's AIDS Walk NY team. Check out Gavin's Interview as well!