Julie Halston is performing a brand new one-woman show at Birdland (315 West 44th Street between 8th & 9th Ave) in NYC on Monday, July 23 at 7pm called "Classical Julie." As part of Jim Caruso's Broadway at Birdland, "Classical Julie" will combine classic Halston rants with brand new material, including her inimitable take on Ibsen and other highly literate writers. Click here for tickets!
Julie has once again taken the time to speak with me. This time around we discuss her new show, "Classical Julie," performing at Birdland, the creative process behind her shows, and many other details of her life and career!
1. On July 23, you will be performing at Birdland once again with your one woman show "Classical Julie." If you were in the music business, this could be considered your "Greatest Hits" or "Best Of" because the show will be some of your classic material with a few new bits mixed in. What made now the right time to create "Classical Julie" as opposed to an all new show? Classical Julie came out of two things -- The classical album that Barbra Streisand did and re-reading some Greek mythologies.
Call me disrespectful but as much as I adore Miss Streisand I find her terribly pretentious sometimes and very funny -- she can get away with a lot because she is just so talented but still I find her funny sometimes for perhaps the wrong reasons. Her nails and hair alone can make me laugh!
Secondly, re-reading the Greek myths I started thinking what would classical theatre be like if I did it! Can we mix Commack NY and Greek theatre?? I say YES!!! So I hope to be doing some theatre pieces that are considered CLASSICS in the Julie Halston way!
2. My favorite story of yours is when you talk about having anorexia when you were out in LA (Which I hope will be in the show). You make this a very funny story, even though it's such a serious issue. How did surviving this disease make you stronger? As for the anorectic material -- the BEST way to heal from serious and disturbing events can sometimes be to look at it from a distance and also to find the humor -- it works for me.
3. You have performed numerous shows at Birdland. What keeps you coming back there? What does Birdland offer that another venue does not? Why Birdland?? They welcome me always, I love the people there, they are generous and accomodating and the FEEL of the room is intimate yet professional and of course the location (44th St bet 8th and 9th ave) is perfect. And besides -- I LOVE JIM CARUSO!
4. What is your favorite part of the creative process in putting together your one woman shows? Where is your favorite place to rehearse on your own for your one woman shows? I hate putting together my shows!!!! I'm anxious, scared and I just feel nothing will work -- Writing and putting together shows is torture and I don't even write that much! As you know I read a lot of my material but I'm constantly looking to approach things with a fresh take or fresh eye.
I rehearse in my living room and I'm sure I drive neighbors crazy, but once I feel confident I'm onto something, which can take weeks!, then I can't wait to hit the stage.
5. What do you get from performing your one woman shows as opposed to your stage/TV/Film work? My one woman shows help me define what I believe in -- honestly I almost look at them as sociological and psychological experiments -- (do I sound high falutin or what?? calling Miss Streisand!) hehehe...anyway it is also just plain fun and I love performing for friends and dare I say fans!
6. What's the best advice you've ever received? Best advice: from Charles Busch -- don't be afraid to be angry! Be more fearless!
7. Favorite skin care product? Easy, BOTOX!!!
8. If you could have any super power, which one would you choose? I wish I had to superpower to time travel (and be invisible of course!)
Great questions! Love you Adam and thank you!