Call Redialed: NEW Marieann Meringolo: Between Yesterday and Tomorrow: The Songs of Alan & Marilyn Bergman at Don't Tell Mama
It’s so great to catch up with MAC Award winning recording artist Marieann Meringolo. We first spoke about Marieann’s cabaret show Between Yesterday and Tomorrow: The Songs of Alan & Marilyn Bergman in 2018. Now we are revisiting this show as Marieann gets ready to showcase it as Don’t Tell Mama on Friday, March 8. This will be the first time in 30 years that Marieann has performed at Don’t Tell Mama.
It was great speaking with Marieann about the evolution of Between Yesterday and Tomorrow: The Songs of Alan & Marilyn Bergman, her return to Don’t Tell Mama, as well as taking a trip down fantasy lane. Additionally, as I was preparing this interview, Marieann was nominated for a 2019 MAC Award in the category of Major Female Artist.
Between Yesterday and Tomorrow: The Songs of Alan & Marilyn Bergman will play Don’t Tell Mama this Friday, March 8 at 7pm. Click here for tickets!
1. On March 8, you are bringing your show Between Yesterday and Tomorrow: The Songs of Alan & Marilyn Bergman to Don't Tell Mama. This will be the first time in 30 years that you will be performing at Don't Tell Mama. Why was this show the perfect time to make your long awaited return? Well, it’s the 30 year anniversary of the first time I stepped onto that stage. So, it has a lot of sentimentality for me. And, as I’m getting closer to the date it’s like a flash back of the last 30 years of my life as a Cabaret performer. Bringing this show, that I’m so proud of, along with my Director Will Nunziata and Musical Director Doyle Newmyer to Don’t Tell Mama feels like I’ve come full circle. On that stage I can see the young girl I was with all my hopes and dreams and see who I’ve become...still with my hopes and dreams but carrying a little more wisdom along with it. It feels very special to me and also that the club has withstood the test of time...Don’t Tell Mama is still here!!! Isn’t that Amazing??!!
2. What are you looking forward to most about performing at Don't Tell Mama? To just be in the space sharing the love and feeling the love that I know will be reflecting back to me from the audience. To just soak it all in.
3. While we first spoke about this show in 2018, you have actually been performing it for three years. How do you feel the show has evolved over these three years? Funny, my Director & Musical Director and myself we’re talking about this very thing in rehearsal the other night. Because the lyrics of the Bergmans are so deep and are a reflection of life itself...every time I perform them it’s like a brand new journey. So the show is evolving all the time just because of the material that is being shared through me as the vessel, and as I go through the ebbs and flows of life, so does this show.
And, now that I’ve been performing this show over the last three years there has been confidence and musicality that I can live in on stage because this show is simply a part of me now. Which has also allowed for risks and tweaks in the arrangements through the vision of my Director. Now, we’re in that place of digging even deeper because there aren’t the nerves of remembering lyrics or does this work? We know it does work, which means I can just live in the moment and perform these songs as they are meant to be seen and heard.
4. The March 8 performance will be your final concert of this show. What do you think you will miss most about performing this show? This is the last NYC performance but the show will live on. There are out of town bookings in the works and my vision is to eventually perform this concert with a full orchestra. So, thank God I won’t have to miss it!
5. With this concert series ending, what do you have on the horizon that you can tell us about? I’m in the process of putting together a new show for the Fall of 2019. My Musical Director, Doyle Newmyer and I will be celebrating our 20 year anniversary as a team! We have a lot to say and sing about! And, it will be directed by Will Nunziata! So stay tuned!
6. I know one thing you have coming up is this summer you will be making your Provincetown debut during their Cabaret Festival May 29-June 2. You will be performing a '60s show on June 1. What do you love about singing this decade of music? It’s going to be so much fun to be in Provincetown!!! I actually was there many years ago performing a duet show with Phillip Officer but not part of their Cabaret Festival. I can’t wait...I love that place!!! Yes, the theme of the Festival is the music of the 60’s and that is right up my alley! I was born in 1964 so that music has been infused into me from the womb! So singing this music just feels natural and soulful to me.
7. As I write these questions, it was just announced that you got nominated for a MAC Award in the category of Major Female Artist. What does this nomination mean to you? To be recognized by my peers in this way feels AMAZING! It means that no matter what, I’m going to keep going because I just can’t help it, it’s who I am. And, to receive this recognition means others have noticed it too and that feels very validating as an artist. It’s truly an honor.
8. I love this description of you on your website “If k.d. lang’s DNA were to get whipped together with Barbra Streisand’s in a genetics lab specializing in divas, the result might well be Marieann Meringolo.” My questions to you are:
If you could sing a duet with k.d. lang & Barbra Streisand, which of their songs would you like to sing with them? What a fascinating question...With k.d. lang that would have to be “Constant Craving.” And, Barbra OMG!!! It would be AMAZING to sing her arrangement of “One Less Bell To Answer/A House Is Not A Home.”
If you, k.d. lang, and Barbra Streisand could all sing together on one song...what song would you like to cover and who would you like to have write the three of you a song? Ok, the idea of that happening I believe would cause me an out of body experience!!! I’m thinking “HELLO” by Adele. And, let’s get one of my favorite songwriters, Marsha Malamet to write a song for the three of us! Could you imagine??? #believe #dreamsdocometrue #greatinterview #thankyou
9. Rapid Fire Questions:
Twizzlers or Red Vines? Sadly neither...because they’re not gluten free :(
Peanut Butter: Crunchy or Smooth? Crunchy for sure!
Favorite go to Emoji when texting? 😍
More on Marieann:
Marieann Meringolo is a native New Yorker who has been called “One of the circuit’s most powerful singers,” and “If k.d. lang’s DNA were to get whipped together with Barbra Streisand’s in a genetics lab specializing in divas, the result might well be Marieann Meringolo” by Time Out New York. She is a MAC Award-Winning Recording Artist as well as a Back Stage Bistro Award-Winner for “Outstanding Vocalist.” BroadwayWorld.com also had a say…in Nominating Marieann’s 2016 Alan & Marilyn Bergman show Between Yesterday and Tomorrow presented at Feinstein’s/54 Below for BEST TRIBUTE SHOW. And, noted by The Wall Street Journal…“If you don’t do it brilliantly it isn’t worth doing at all…Ms. Meringolo’s powerhouse interpretation makes full use of the dramatic Bergman lyric.”
Marieann thrills her audiences wherever she performs…Including these New York City venues: Feinstein’s/54 Below, Joe’s pub…at The Public Theater, Iridium, Metropolitan Room, The Friars Club, The Laurie Beechman Theatre, The Rainbow Room, The Hammerstein Ballroom and Tavern On The Green. She has toured with comedian David Brenner, has headlined at the State-of-the-Art Steinman Hall concert venue at The Ware Center, Lancaster, PA and can also be found performing on other Concert Stages around the country, or internationally as a Headliner on prestigious cruise lines such as Oceania, Regent Seven Seas and Princess…Marieann is an entertainer who always leaves her audience cheering for more!
Marieann can be heard on several recordings: Her critically acclaimed debut album, Hold Me CloseI. Her Award-Winning second solo CD, IMAGINE…IF WE ONLY HAVE LOVE (Back Stage Bistro Award & MAC Award for Outstanding CD & Recording of the Year). Her Live CD/DVD Here’s To The Ladies! A Salute to Great Ladies in Song was praised as a “Four-Star Dazzler” in Cabaret Scenes Magazine, and is proud to have released her long awaited and critically acclaimed Holiday CD In The Spirit.
Marieann’s gorgeous voice is often played on radio stations and the internet around the world, and has been heard on selected United Airlines flights as well as Air Force II. She has also had the honor of performing live at the United Nations.
Marieann believes we are all here for a divine purpose: To share our gifts with the world…She feels very blessed to have the opportunity to do so.